Wasson Memorial Veterinary Clinic
3083 Highway 175 Lakeport, California 95453 707.263.5380 Fax: 707.263.1525
Frequently Asked Questions
We get asked questions all the time, so we thought we would post a few of the more common questions here.
1. What should I feed my puppy or kitten?
We recommend feeding your puppy a high-quality puppy diet designed for its size. Look on the food bag for the AAFCO certification. Consistency is also important for your pets diet.
2. How old should my puppy or kitten be for its first vaccines?
Puppies and kittens should start their first vaccines around 8 weeks of age. Puppies should have boosters every 2-3 weeks until they are16 weeks of age, then at that time they are old enough to receive a Rabies vaccine. Kittens should receive their final set of vaccines, including a Rabies at 12 weeks of age. Be sure to bring a fresh (within 6 hours) stool sample with you to your pets vet visit so that we can check for parasites.
3. What age should my pet be spayed or neutered at?
We recommend spaying or neutering your pets between 4 to 6 months of age.
4. What do you recommend as chew toys?
Proper chew toys will keep your puppy happy and healthy. Having appropriate chew toys around can help minimize destructive chewing behavior, as your puppy gets older. We DO NOT recommend bones for chewing as they can lead to fractured teeth, GI upset or intestinal blockage.
5. Do you make house calls?
We do make house calls. They need to be arranged with the front desk in advance.
6. My pet's breath stinks; what should I do?
Odor can be a sign of mouth problems. Your pet should have an exam by a vet to determine if dental disease or some other problem is present.
7. What is a normal temperature for a cat or dog?
The average temperature for a dog or cat is 101.5, but may vary a degree above or below depending on the animal.
8. Is there somebody at the hospital all night to check on the pets?
We do not have staff in the hospital overnight. Critical patients are transferred to a 24 hour animal care facility for overnight care if needed.
9. What should I do if I need a vet and your clinic is closed?
Call 707.263.5380, there is a veterinarian on call for our clients to contact.
10. Can I drop my pet off before work or pick them up after work?
We are open from 8-5:30 Monday through Saturday. You can drop your pet off as early as 7:30 a.m..
11. Do you have payment plans?
We accept cash, checks, VISA and MasterCard. Contact CareCredit if you are in need of billing options. You can fill out an application online or one of our receptionists can assist you while you are here.
12. Do you carry prescription diets?
We carry a variety of prescription diets for your pets. You and your veterinarian can decide together the appropriate diet for your pet.
13. Can I give my pet aspirin or ibuprofen?
Aspirin and ibuprofen can be fatal if used inappropriately, so please contact your vet before administering any medications.
14. Do I really have to treat my pet for fleas during the winter?
Because of our moderate winters here, fleas can be a problem year round. We carry several safe and effective flea prevention products.